Summer School 2015 – Transparency and Implementation
From 9 to 15 September 2015, 21 representatives from 14 countries met for the fourth Summer School of the International Partnership on Mitigation and MRV in Cuernavaca, Mexico. Under the headline “Transparency and Implementation – Future Proof Rules for Climate Policy” the participants discussed potential elements of the future rules base of a new climate agreement and how these rules can drive up ambition and promote fairness.
The seven intense days of the Summer School were filled with presentations of different speakers, discussions and group work. Expert from the UNFCCC Secretariat, the World Resources Institute (WRI), the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), Energeia and Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH provided additional expertise and participated in the discussions. The Summer School was hosted by the Secretariat of Environment and Natural Resources of Mexico (SEMARNAT).
Find most presentations held below. The report can be downloaded on the right.
Presentations day 1
- Claudio Forner (UNFCCC): Where on earth are we going?
- Gonçalo Cavalheiro (CAOS): Transparency and Implementation – Future Proof Rules for International Climate Policy
- Jose Alberto Garibaldi (Energia): What Rules in What Context do We Need Now? A Proposal for Variable Convergence
Presentations day 2
- Kelly Levin (World Resources Institute, WRI): What do INDCs say about mitigation? What options for the negotiation text on mitigation derive from that?
- Pham Hoang Yen (Vietnam): INDC of Vietnam - Mitigation component
- Claudio Forner (UNFCCC): Where are we with INDCs?
Presentations day 3
- Seohyeon Lee (South Korea): Green Growth Climate Polices in Korea - Focused on Emission Trading Scheme
- Kelly Levin (WRI): How the Land Sector is Treated in INDCs and Its Implications
- Kelly Levin (WRI): Accounting for INDCs - Can accounting in the post-2020 regime be simpler than Kyoto accounting? Technical challenges of accounting
- Aura Robayo Castaneda (Colombia) AFOLU Sector in INDC Colombian Case
- Daniel Blank (Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit, GIZ): Double function of accounting: International and national role?
- Miriam Faulwetter (GIZ): Carbon Markets and INDCs – Taking stock and looking forward
- Gonçalo Cavalheiro (CAOS): MRV in the text
Evening reception at the German Embassy:
- Anahí Ramírez (GIZ), Guillermo de la Sierra (Mexico): Mexican Housing NAMA
- Mónica Echegoyen López, Emily Castro Prieto (Mexico): Low Emission Schools NAMA
Presentations day 4
- Brian Mantlana (South Africa): Progress in the Monitoring & Evaluation of the transition to a climate resilient South Africa
- Thania Eloina Felix Cañedo (Mexico): Monitoring and evaluation of adaptation - an approach from Mexico
- Sofia Muñoz Alarcon (SMAC): MRV of Support and GCF & MRV
Presentations day 5
- Aura Robayo Castaneda (Colombia): National rules for implementation - The road we have travelled and the challenges ahead
- Joseph Amankwa Baffoe (Ghana): Capacity Needs to Set Up and Maintain an MRV System - Ghana's Approach
- Karen Hedeman (Dominican Republic): What capacities are needed to set up and maintain a MRV system? - The Dominican Republic Case Study
- Neta Meidav (United Kingdom): Rules for Implementation - The legal and institutional setting in the United Kingdom
- Yamide Dagnet (WRI), Neta Meidav (United Kingdom): Capacity Building in the Post 2020 Regime