African Regional Workshop: Peer-to-peer exchange on BURs
The Environmental Protection Agency of Ghana, together with the International Partnership on Mitigation and MRV, hosted the second African Regional Workshop "Peer-to-peer exchange on BURs”. It is took place on October 15-17, Berlin, Germany, with participants from Egypt, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
The African Regional Workshop provided a unique opportunity for African countries to benefit from the knowledge base of the International Partnership on Mitigation and MRV by sharing experiences and expert inputs that equiped the participating countries with relevant information and approaches for their upcoming Biennial Update Reports (BURs), its preparation process, the latest MRV system developments, and related institutional arrangements among the African region.
Specific suggestions for next steps for each country were made, including topics to tackle, formats to use, and identifying knowledge holders to exchange their lessons learnt. The next steps of the International Partnership on Mitigation and MRV will be to revise the BUR template including a guidance document and to create an extendable web-based FAQ format addressing the main questions that came up during the workshop. The full workshop report can be accessed in the links column.
Presentations - Day 1
- GIZ, Germany: GIZ BUR Template
- MWAPOPI (Ministry of Environment and Tourism, Namibia): Namibia Experience for preparing FBUR to the UNFCCC
- TARFA ( National Climate Change Focal Office, Nigeria): Sharing African Experience on the development process of the initial Biennial Update Report
- LEKOYIET (United Nations Environment Programme, Kenya): NATIONAL REPORTING FOR Non Annex I PARTIES UNDER THE UNFCCC
- VEYRET-PICOT (United Nations Development Programme, USA): GEF Funding
Presentations - Day 2
- WITI (Department of Environmental Affairs, South Africa): South African Development of a GHG Inventory National System & Tool
- OPPONG-BOADI (Environmental Protection Agency, Ghana): Sharing Africa Experience on GHG Inventory and MRV of Emissions
- SHALABY (Egyptian Environmental Affairs Agency): Mitigation Activities in Egypt
- HACHILEKA (United Nations Development Programme, Zambia): Sharing African Experiences on Mitigation Actions and their Reporting
- VIEWEG (Current Future, Berlin): Tools to support BUR reporting The new WRI GHG Protocol Mitigation Accounting Standards
Presentations - Day 3
- LEKOYIET (United Nations Environment Programme, Kenya): ACCESSING GEF SUPPORT FOR UNFCCC REPORTING
- EGBERS (International Partnership on Mitigation and MRV, Germany) & WITI (Department of Environmental Affairs, South Africa): International Partnership on Mitigation and MRV
- KING' UYU & MUTAI (National Climate Change Secretariat Ministry of Environment, Water & Natural Resources, Kenya): Sharing Experience on the MRV of Support: Kenya