Latin American & Caribbean Regional Workshop on 'MRV of NAMAs as a Key Element of National MRV Systems'
More than 100 stakeholders from 10 countries came together on 6–8 March 2014 in Mexico City to exchange good practices and enhance capacities for the development of systems for the measuring, reporting and verification (MRV) of nationally appropriate mitigation actions (NAMAs) in Latin America and the Caribbean.
The workshop was convened by the International Partnership on Mitigation and MRV and the Partnership for Market Readiness (PMR), and was hosted by the Mexican Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources (SEMARNAT). It was jointly organised and financed by the World Bank (PMR Secretariat), the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH on behalf of German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, Building and Nuclear Safety (BMUB), and CAF – Development Bank of Latin America.
It aimed at achieving the following objectives:
- Exchange good practices and build capacities for the development of systems for the MRV of NAMAs in Latin America and the Caribbean;
- Explore potential similarities and key differences between MRV processes applicable to facility-level greenhouse gas (GHG) reporting and NAMAs;
- Discuss issues related to capturing the impacts of the NAMAs on national GHG inventories and reflect this in national GHG reporting.
Participants comprised more than 100 policymakers and technical experts from Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Mexico, Peru and Uruguay. During the three workshop days, participants exchanged knowledge and experiences in plenary presentations, working groups and peer consultation sessions on data management processes as well as institutional and legal/regulatory arrangements for MRV applicable to various types of policy mechanisms: MRV for national reporting, MRV of mitigation actions and MRV at the facility level.
Workshop materials can be found in the download section and also by clicking on selected presentations below.
Presentations - Day 1
- GIZ - International Partnership on Mitigation and MRV (Spanish)
- World Bank - PMR (Spanish)
- World Bank and GIZ - Panorama General (English/Spanish)
- World Resources Institute - Integrating National MRV Systems (English)
- SEMARNAT - MRV in Mexico (Spanish)
- INEGEI - National GHG Inventory of Mexico (Spanish)
- German Emissions Trading Authority (DEHst) - MRV for EU ETS & Domestic Offset Projects in Germany (English)
- United States Environmental Protection Agency - MRV of NAMAs as a Key Element of National MRV Systems (English)
- UNFCCC - MRV Framework for Non-Annex I Parties Under the UNFCCC (Spanish)
- Colombia Environment Ministry - MRV System of Colombian Low Carbon Development Strategy (Spanish)
Presentations - Day 2
- DNV GL - Key Principles and Objectives of MRV of NAMAs (Spanish)
- World Resources Institute - Key Principles and Objectives of MRV of NAMAs: Data & Methodologies (English)
- Chilean Ministry of the Environment - MRV in Chile (Spanish)
- Argentina Secretariat of Environment and Sustainable Development (SADS) - GHG Inventories, Public Policies and MRV in Argentina (Spanish)
- UNDP - Institutional Arrangements and Processes for MRV of NAMAs (English)
- SEMARNAT - National NAMA Registry for Mexico (Spanish)
Presentations - Day 3
- Oeko Institut - Key characteristics of GHG report programmes on facility level (Spanish)
- United States Environmental Protection Agency - US EPA Greenhouse Gas Reporting Program (English)
- SinoCarbon - Chinese MRV Practice at enterprise level (English)